December 16, 2020
Dear Brothers & Sisters,
As Chair of the election committee, I was apprehensive about holding our annual general election during the NM “shut down” that was ordered by Governor Lujan-Grisham Monday, November 16th, and scheduled to last at least 2 weeks. Not knowing whether the shutdown would last beyond the 2 weeks, I felt it was irresponsible to risk continuing as planned, thus leading to the motion and direction to postpone our election.
The shutdown ended after the two weeks and the Governor issued the red-yellow-green plan for occupancy guidelines. Though we are in the “red” currently and look to be that way for a while, it is the opinion of the Executive Board that we must facilitate our election as soon as possible-with as many necessary safety precautions as possible.
Therefore, the Executive Board, with direction from the Election committee, has agreed to proceed with having our postponed general election on January 13th, 2021. Early voting will be schedule for January 5-7, 2021 and absentee voting will also be available with additional accommodations for any members in quarantine.
To accommodate the election in the safest possible manner the following modifications will be implemented, please review & familiarize yourselves with the guidelines below.
- Only allow 3 people inside voting locations at one time, making it necessary for all others waiting to vote, to wait outside ensuring as much possible distance (minimum of 6 feet) between members.
- Provide an entrance that is different from the exit to ensure the traffic is minimized. Members must enter & exit through the specified doors.
- Entry to non-poll site/election specific designated areas within fire stations or Union Hall is prohibited.
- Require all who enter the voting locations as well as the poll workers, to wear face coverings at all times.
- Ensure all surfaces in voting sites are wiped down and disinfected throughout the day.
- We ask/encourage all members to bring and use their own pens to cast their ballots and sign the roster.
- We request all members who have any symptoms of Covid to stay home.
- Any member who is in quarantine (weather exposed, or sick) will have the option for an election committee member to facilitate bringing the absentee ballot box to them so that they may also cast their ballot from quarantine, consistent with Article XI, section 3, Absentee voting. Please see the flyer for dates & details.
Sergeant at Arms
IAFF Local 244